Monday, October 24, 2011

Latest finished rug

I say that this is my latest "finished" rug, but the rug is really not complete as it has not been bound yet. The hooking is done, and I am pleased with the results.


This is a rug of the home I grew up in. I was inspired by Deanne Fitzpatrick to put a small face in one of the windows to depict my mom. I always picture her there in her chair watching out her window for one of us to show up and visit. My mother has been gone a number of years now, but I still see her there waiting.

The rug posed some challenges for me as I had never hooked that many trees before. I avoided hooking them at first, but little by little they were filled in, and I came to believe that they were not that hard after all!

Using yarn for the bushes all some posed some problems. Never having used much yarn before, I found out the most important thing about hooking with yarn is that it pulls out easily when caught on gripper strips. I learned this VERY QUICKLY!!! I finally put a small piece of muslin over the gripper strips where the yarn would sit and lifted my rug carefully when moving it. That helped immensely.

All in all, I liked the way the bushes turned out. The yarn was bulky and puffy and the variation in color gave a nice effect. I liked it so much that I'm planning a new rug using only yarn.

I've been looking at photos of rugs hooked with yarn and other fibers and found an interesting video on the Halcyon Yarn Web site. Here is the link:
She makes it look very easy!! Anyway, check it out if you are interested in hooking with other fibers.

4 comments:

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

Hello: Thanks for visiting our booth at Rhinebeck and my blog! I do indeed sell the Paisley Heart pattern. It is $20, drawn on linen, and measures 12 x 12 inches.

I was up in Saratoga Springs area not long ago for the Southern Adirondack Fiber Festival. My daughter graduated from Skidmore a year ago May, so I have spent many happy hours in Saratoga. I miss it!

Feel free to email me: sarah@thepaisleystudio.com

Best,
Sarah

Debra Lloyd said...

Your rug is just beautiful. You've made a heirloom for generations to enjoy. I want to a rug of our home also, but have never done a landscape before. Like, you said, I expect a learning curve.
I have been learning to spin and want to use some of my handspun yarn in the rug, so I am grateful for your tips and for the link to the video.

Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

Thanks for your kind words about my rug! Glad you got something out of the video. I was impressed that she used all weights of wool, not just bulky.

Robin said...

Love this rug - especially your Mom's face peeping out. Makes it very special!