Monday, August 15, 2011

The Group of Seven

Since reading Deanne Fitzpatrick's Inspired Rug Hooking, I've become quite interested in landscape rugs and landscape artists. I decided to check out some landscape artists in the library before starting my rug depicting my childhood home. Wanted to look at paintings with pine trees in particular. So I started looking at all sorts of artists, and finally found the Group of Seven. The Group of Seven was a group of Canadian landscape artists from the 1920s whose work was influenced by the impressionists. I googled them and found lots of links to their artwork, and finally bought a book from amazon.com all about their work. Here is the link.



I'm also including pictures from the Web showing some of their paintings. I love looking at these paintings and find that if I look at the brush strokes and coloring, it helps figure out which way to go with my hooking.




2 comments:

LauraLillyLaura said...

I love the group of seven. Hooking is painting with wool. I recently hooked "Farm Garden" by Gustav Klimt. It was such fun to hook with unspun wool and yarn as well as dyed strips of wool. I think you should go for it.

Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

I love Gustav Klimt. Another hooker is doing some of his paintings as rugs.