Friday, April 3, 2009

Dye Day results

Had some fun dyeing wool yesterday. Did get one "experiment" in along with my list of regular colors that needed replenishing. Here's what I did:
  1. I took my large rectangular stainless steel baking pan and layered five pieces of natural wool in it; each piece the size of the pan.
  2. I added synthrapol and water and let it soak for 30 minutes or so.
  3. After the wool was sufficiently wet, I mixed up three cups of colors using ProChem dyes. I added 1 cup boiling water to each.
    Cup 1: 1/8 407
    Cup 2: 1/8 411
    Cup 3: 1/8 707
  4. Using a tablespoon, I created a checkboard pattern using the three colors. I pressed down hard to get the dye to go through all the layers. After going through this process, I repeated the process one more time, again pushing on the wool with the spoon. I did strengthen some of the spots one time more and then set the remaining dyes aside.
Here is a picture of the wool after applying dye.

Next, I covered loosely with foil and steamed in oven at 300° for 40 minutes. I decided to take the remaining dye and throw it into a pot of boiling water. I added a 1/2 yard of natural wool to the pot and let it simmer for 25 minutes. Here is the result of that—a color I call Adrift:

Now back to the checkerboard wool. After it came out of the oven, I machine washed and dried it. Here is a picture of the finished wool. As you can see, five layers proved to be too many, although, if used together, I think you could use the piece that is mostly natural.

Much as I hate to, I am listing this entire set on

No comments: