Monday, September 3, 2012

Next Rug

Here is my new rug project.

A few years ago, my husband and I visited Italy ... our first European adventure! One of the highlights of the trip was visiting Rome, and of course, that meant an excursion to the Vatican. I got to see masterpieces of art that I never expected to see: The Pieta, The Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, and with a visit to the Vatican Museums countless works of art by the most famous of artists. I think the most inspiring painting I saw was "The Transfiguration" by Raphael. It was showcased in a large room, one that was actually quite dark. Here is my photo:


Part of the Vatican Museums is devoted to cemetery/funereal artifacts. They were so interesting, and the carvings were amazing. Here are three in particular:




The first photo of this trio is the one I was intrigued with. I thought the image lent itself to a rug design. So, I placed my photo in Adobe Illustrator, traced the image (very rough trace), adjusted to my finished size and printed it. From there, I traced it onto white linen and started staring at it!


I wasn't sure what colors I wanted to use, so I printed some small versions of the rug, got out my trusty colored pencils and worked on a number of color variations. I finally decided to work in browns, creams, grays and greens.

Here is the rug in progress:


Some of the wool used in this rug:

Walnut Grove

Winter Tracks


4 comments:

Julia said...

I appreciate you taking the time to show the wool that you used to hook with and I think that your rug is going to be fantastic. I love that marbleized wool color.

At first I thought that you were talking of hooking the transfiguration and my jaw dropped.

I'm hoping that you had a great Labor Day.

JB

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

Julia, your comment made me laugh out loud! Imagine trying to hook the transfiguration!!! I'd probably lose my mind!

Anonymous said...

That's a great design and I love your wools. That blotchy brown is amazing! Thanks for sharing.