Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pinterest

I like Pinterest and I do use it. Not a lot, but every once in a while when I'm looking for inspiration. I have some boards of my own, but I'm beginning to rethink pinning photos belonging to other people.

I have a rather extensive rug hooking board with samples of many hooked rugs. Some of the rugs are labeled with the name of the piece and/or the hooker. The problem for me has become this. No one has given me permission to use these photos. And, I'm not always sure about the accuracy of the information I'm using for a description. I ask myself would I want my photos put up on someone's board without my permission. It's one thing to put photos of my own rugs up, but what really gives me the right to put other people's photos up.

I guess it comes down to this. If a photo is published on the Web, does it then become a free domain for everyone to use? Some Web sites explicitly say that the photos are the property of the site owner. Does that mean, they cannot be used on other pages?

I think I will be taking my boards down. I just don't feel comfortable pinning other people's photos and work without their permission.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I went through this to, and finally decided to take my boards down and delete my account with Pinterest. Less chance of me designing a derivative work from someone else's rug or photo. Less chance of lawsuits.

Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

Glad to hear someone else is concerned about this issue! Thanks for posting.