Using a square stainless steel pan, I placed the wool as shown.
I then added synthropol and water to wet the wool.
After the wool was sufficiently wet, I drained the water, and
scrunched the wool to form nice peaks and valleys.
Next came the addition of the ice. I realized later that I needed more ice, but at this point, I went with what I had. Something I soon learned was that the ice could not be moved. It stuck to the wool!!
After placing the ice, I sprinkled dry dye over the ice. This is when I realized I should have had more ice. Some of the dye went directly onto the wool, when optimally, it should have been only on the ice. Live and learn!
The two photos above show the movement of the dye as the ice began to melt.
This is what the wool looked like when I placed it on the stove, covered it with foil, and simmered for ten minutes. After ten minutes, I added some vinegar but did not really stir. Cooked the wool for another 30 minutes after that.
The pictures that follow show what the wool looked like after being washed and dried.
Here's my thoughts on this process. I definitely needed more ice. I liked using dry dye, but it can lead to large spots of color on the wool that may not be as pleasing as you'd like. I'm not sure what hooking with this wool will look like, but I think you could get some stunning results using this wool for appliqué.
If you give this method a try, let me know how you make out!