Friday, March 28, 2014

Biographical Rugs

Back in January, my class at Julie Smith's was challenged to complete a "ruglet" a month. Each ruglet should have a connection to the next, so I started thinking about ideas for a theme. I finally came up with an idea that had been in the back of mind for a while: a series of rugs depicting things from my life.

Awhile ago, I purchased Jill Berry's book, Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media.



This book really sparked my imagination for creating a "map" of your life. Although the book uses drawings/paintings to depict your map, I could see the possibilities for rug hooking. With all that in mind, here are the first two rugs in my bio series. The third rug is complete, but not bound yet. I will show that rug in a future post.


The first rug shows the street where I grew up, and the second the name of my town, well-known for its geysers and spring water. Although you can't tell from this rug, the rocks are done in a Waldeboro style, but not clipped.

What would your personal map rugs show?

No comments: