Thursday, January 16, 2014

Rug Hooking Class

I am fortunate indeed to take class with Julie Smith twice a month. Our winter session began last Tuesday, and the topic of the class was "a rug a month." Her challenge to us was to hook a 10" square a month (over the course of a year) and try to relate the rugs to a certain theme. Could be color, subject, etc. The ideas flew around the room. One hooker is going to hook a "quilt square" rug each month. Julie talked about doing an abstract piece each month and assembling them together on a black fabric background to form a single piece of art.

I came home and started thinking about what I wanted to do. Here are some of my ideas:

• word art
• bird eggs
• birds
• hearts
• milagros
• book title art

I finally settled on some less detailed aboriginal animals that I've been wanting to do. I have wool that will suit these small rugs nicely. First up, a kangaroo!

What ideas can you come up with?

No comments: